New Water Connections
Council will install a metered connection to properties within the water supply areas as follows.
Standard Connections (20mm dial)
Installation of a 20mm water meter and meter box connected to existing water service infrastructure.
A private works application must be submitted to obtain a quote for Council to undertake any of the following non-standard connection:
- Provide a connection when there is no existing water service infrastructure for the property;
- Provide a connection greater than 20mm;
- Provide additional connections to water infrastructure for duplexes;
- Relocate, raise or lower a water meter; and
- Other miscellaneous work as approved
Sub-metering refers to a water meter and related equipment (including automatic meter reader) within a complex of meterable premises that measures the supply of water to meterable premises.
Meterable premises constructed in a water service area after 1 January 2008 are required to identify water usage of individual tenancies or owners. This is achieved through the installation of sub-meters in accordance with the Queensland Plumbing and Wastewater Code pt 4 and Council's Sub-metering Policy and Procedure.
For the purpose of sub-metering, meterable premises are those where individual tenancies or owner's water use must be metered and include:
- Each lot within a community title scheme, including the common property, in a water service provider's area
- The sole-occupancy unit of a class 2, 4, 5, 6, 7 or 8 building in a water service providers area; and
- Each storey of a class 5 building in a water service provider's area where the building consists of more than one storey & sole-occupancy units are not identified at the time of the building's compliance assessment.
Plumbing approval must be obtained for the installation of sub-meters. An Application for Sub-meter Certification must be submitted with the appropriate fee. Lodge your Sub-meter Certification Application via Council's Online Services
Council will conduct a sub-meter certification inspection following approval of the final plumbing inspection. During the inspection, Council will record the meter reading on each sub-meter and verify that:
- The sub-meters are accessible for reading and maintenance;
- The serial number on each sub-meter matches the serial number shown on the As Constructed Plans;
- Each sub-meter is correctly installed and only measuring flow to the meterable premises being tested. Verification will be done by by physical testing; and
- Tagging details such as meter numbers and the identification of the meterable premises is accurate.