Water Meters and Billing

Water Billing

Livingstone Shire Council will issue Water Usage Notices following the completion of each quarterly meter read. Notices are addressed to the owner of the property. Residents are encouraged to assist in making this process as efficient as possible by properly maintaining access to their water meter. In accordance with Local Laws, dogs should be kept within the property boundaries.

Water pricing structure

As per the 2021/2022 Revenue Statement, water consumption is charged each quarter based on:

RESIDENTIAL graduated water usage tiers per quarter (per meter):
  1st Tier  Up to 60kl $0.89 /kl
  2nd Tier  61kl to 135kl  $1.37 /kl
  3rd Tier   All usage greater than 135kl  $2.74 /kl
COMMERCIAL  single tier flat rate
  single tier all usage  $2.14 /kl

Metering of water for firefighting

A fire line is a designated water service specifically and solely used for firefighting purposes. The designated fire service could be a stand-alone service or may be a designated part of a split service. 

The metering of fire lines must comply with the Queensland Water Supply (Safety and Reliability) Act 2008.

Council adopted a Metering of Fire Lines Policy to identify and eliminate avoidable system leakage and non-fire related water consumption through those services.

About Your Water Meter

A water meter registers the amount of water that flows through the connection to your property. A ball valve is attached at the head of the meter to turn off the water supply to your home for repairs to leaking taps or pipes. The meter also contains a dual check valve designed to protect the water supply by preventing backflow of water into the reticulation system.

Only Livingstone Shire Council employees are permitted to maintain and change water meters.

Locating your water meter

Your water meter will generally be installed either on the footpath or inside your property.

It will be either in a box approximately 500mm x 225mm x 3220mm with a green dimpled lid or above ground.

Maintaining access to your water meter

It is your responsibility to ensure that your meter (or meter box) is accessible. The meter must be at or above ground level. You must not fill the area around your meter or cover it with garden beds, trees or shrubs.

If you notice bees or other pests in your meter box, please inform Council via our online customer service centre so that their removal can be arranged.

Reading your water meter

The water meter measures how much water is used per property in metric. The following details will help you in reading your water meter.

The black numbers on your water meter represent kilolitres (kL). One kilolitre (kL) equals 1000 litres (L). This is the unit of measurement our meter readers record as your water reading. We then use this reading to calculate your bull. The white numbers on the red dials represents litres. 

You can monitor your water usage by conducting regular checks of how much water is being used for certain activities by reading the meter before and after an activity such as washing.

Water Meter Reading


Water Meter Testing

If you consider the reading on your Water Usage Notice is excessive, you can conduct tests at home to assess if the meter is accurately recording consumption or if you have an internal leak that may be the cause of the high usage.

If you think there may be a leak in your internal pipes (all pipes on the property side of the meter), refer to Council’s Concealed Leak Refund/Waiver page for further information.

If you believe the leak is not internal and you wish to have your water meter tested by Council, you will need to submit an application and pay the relevant fee. You can lodge the application via Council's online services or download the Water Meter Verification Test form  and lodge manually. You can conduct your own consumption test, which may assist you in deciding if you would like to request Council to conduct a test on your water meter.

Conducting a Consumption Test

To conduct your own consumption test complete the following:

  • Turn off all taps to ensure no water is being used (Do NOT turn off the meter tap).
  • Take a reading of the water meter.
  • Fill a container of known volume (e.g. 200L drum).
  • Take another reading of the water meter and calculate the amount of water used.

The difference between the two readings should be approximately equal to the capacity of the container.

This consumption test is for your information only. The results of this test will not be acted upon by Council.

Metered Standpipes

Metered standpipes are used to obtain water directly from hydrants for approved activities such as construction, concrete sawing, dust suppression and water carting. Council provides metered standpipes for both short term and long term hire.

Hiring a metered standpipe

To hire a metered standpipe you must complete a Metered Standpipe Hire form and pay the bond. If you are not already a Council Debtor you must also complete a Debtor Account Application form

If the metered standpipe develops a leak, has any mechanical damage or fails to operate, you must report the defects to Council.

Metered standpipes can be collected and returned to Council's Cordingley Street Office. Your bond will be refunded on the satisfactory return of the metered standpipe.


# Name Size File Type Download