Building and Plumbing


Building Applications through are processed in accordance with the Development Approval System detailed within the Planning Act 2016.

Schedules 1 and 2 of the Building Regulations 2006 details the type of work which is exempt from requiring a permit if it meets the stated criteria.

Council’s Information Sheet No 1 provides a comprehensive list of building work which summarises criteria from the Building Regulations 2006.

A checklist is available to help identify if a development application for building work is required.

Any building work which changes the use of the land should be checked against the Planning Scheme which applies to your property. Building work may:

  • not be able to comply with the relevant accepted with requirements provisions; or
  • be identified and require a planning approval prior to any building approval being granted; or
  • be located in an area identified with a Feature (refer to overlay mapping data under the Planning Scheme) which requires planning approval.

What requires a Building Application?

All State Government Building and Development Application Forms are located here. 

Building Additions/Extensions - Non-Sewered Area

The Queensland Plumbing and Wastewater Code, Part 1

Assessment of this application is to determine if the existing wastewater management system can accept a potential increase in wastewater as a result of the development and maintain compliance with Performance Criteria 2 of this code.

Certificates/Change of Use Classification

Since April 1976, it has been mandatory for a Certificate of Classification to be issued for all new commercial/industrial premises.

Since April 1998, with the introduction of private building certification, a Certificate of Classification is required to be issued whenever a permit has been issued and works have been satisfactorily completed for new, additions or alterations to a commercial/ industrial type building.

Where a building constructed before 1998 does not have either a Certificate of Classification or the use of the building has changed which requires a valid Certificate of Classification, then an application can be made to obtain a BCA-Certificate of Classification.

Site Excavation/Filling

If soil conditions, ground levels, excavation of filling make it necessary to protect buildings or structures in the vicinity of building work:

  • Retaining walls must be built or other suitable methods used to prevent soil movement; and 
  • Drainage of the land, buildings or structure must be provided.

Refer to Schedule 1 of the Building Regulations 2006 to determine if the work is self-assessable.

Where the work is not associated with building work then a development permit for operational works may be required.

Solar Hot Water Systems

Refer to the information sheet for clarification on the circumstances in which a permit is required for installing a solar hot water system. Please refer to the additional information sheet in relation to Solar Hot Water System Pressure Relief Drains.

Roof & Surface Stormwater

Stormwater runoff – either as surface flow or from a building – is a concern to everyone. Be aware of how any building or structure - or even landscaping - can impact on your neighbour or even your own property and how this matter should be thoughtfully managed for the betterment of your neighbourhood.

Builders are obliged to install a drainage / roof stormwater drainage system to an approved standard for any building work which collects / drains stormwater.

Disputes/Nuisances caused by Building/Structure


Plumbing and Drainage work is regulated under the Plumbing and Drainage Act 2018 and the Plumbing and Drainage Regulation 2019.

A useful tool in helping to decide if you need to lodge a plumbing application can be found on the QBCC website

All State Government Plumbing and Drainage Forms are located here.

Documents and plans required for Applications are summarised in the following table.

New Dwellings  All plumbing applications will require the below as per the Plumbing and Drainage Regulation 2019 Schedule 6
Form 1, 1 x Onsite Sewerage Facility Design (only if in a non-sewered area)
1 x Building Plans; 1 x Soil Test Report and a Sanitary Drainage Articulation Design for sites with a 'H', 'E' or 'P' Soil Classification.
Duplexes/ Dual Occupancies All plumbing applications will require the below as per the Plumbing and Drainage Regulation 2019 Schedule 6

Form 1, 1 x Onsite Sewerage Facility Design (only if in a non-sewered area)
1 x Building Plans; 1 x Soil Test Report
1 x Sanitary Drainage Articulation Design for sites with a 'H', 'E' or 'P' Soil Classification.
Referral - On-Site
Wastewater Managment
Application Form
Floor Plan
Site Plan showing existing/proposed building, site boundaries and easements, other structures, any cut/fill forming the building platform, existing contours of the site
Quotations for Works For a quotation please upload electronic copies of plans including Form 1 to General Plumbing and Drainage enquiry online under Customer Services option.
On-Site Sewerage If a dwelling is in a non-sewered area an onsite design is required to assess the application.
Plumbing Searches Provides plumbing/drainage details on: permits issued, assessor details, inspection details. Plumbing/drainage requisitions relating to permits issued and general requisitions impacting on plumbing & drainage. (Includes sanitary house drainage plan if available.)
Complete Property Search Form and contact Customer Service for payment.
House Drainage Plans Council can supply existing “as constructed drainage plans” that shows internal house drainage to sewer jump-up contact Council’s Customer Service Centre for information.
Fees & Charges for
Plumbing and Drainage
Please refer to our  Fees and Charges page for the latest plumbing and drainage fees information.

From 1 November 2012 a new category of plumbing and drainage work called Notifiable Work was implemented. Notifiable Work extends the amount of work a plumber or drainage can perform without a local government permit or mandatory inspections.

For more information on what is Notifiable Work click here.

Building Demolition and Disconnection from Services Livingstone Shire Council as the administering authority for water and sewer within its boundaries is providing an information sheet outlining the process for ensuring proper disconnection of buildings being demolished from mains water reticulation, Council sewer infrastructure or any type of on-site sewerage facility (includes septic systems and the decommissioning and removal of redundant systems.