Urban Infrastructure

Kerb and Channel

Concrete kerb and channel is usually associated with sealed roads and used to direct stormwater runoff from roadways into underground drainage pits or chambers.

Stormwater Grates

Metal stormwater grates are usually associated with drainage pits or chambers and can present a serious risk of personal injury or property damage should they be removed or become damaged.

Concrete Overhead Crossings

Also known as ‘concrete crossovers’ or ‘concrete kerb crossovers’, these concrete panels (approximately 600mm square) span the concrete kerb and channel to assist with smoother access to steep driveways. The property owner is responsible for the repair or replacement of concrete crossovers and maintaining a clear waterway beneath them. New crossings require approval for works to be conducted in a Council controlled area or road. You can request a copy of the standard drawings for the construction of concrete crossovers by phoning Council’s Customer Service Centre on 4913 5000 or 1300 790 919.


In conjunction with other infrastructure planning, Council prioritises the expansion of our footpath network using factors such as destination, pedestrian profile and volume. Using this approach, Council can avoid the installation of isolated sections of footpath that become difficult to administer and maintain. Council prioritises and programs the installation of footpaths each financial year.
If customers would like to request a footpath along a street they are to contact Council via written correspondence requesting that the street be considered for prioritising in a future financial year.

Signs and Lines

Council’s Infrastructure Portfolio is responsible for the maintenance of existing signs and lines within the region including street/road name signs and traffic management signs.
Linemarking is used for many purposes, including delineation of traffic movements, parking spaces and areas of restricted parking. Requests for new signs and lines or amendments to existing signs and lines are referred to Council’s Infrastructure Planning Unit for consideration.

Street Lighting

The ownership and maintenance of street lighting falls under three categories:

  • Ergon Energy owned
  • Council owned
  • Department of Transport and Main Roads owned

The majority of street lights are owned and maintained by Ergon Energy. Council owns and maintains a number of streets lights mostly associated with public spaces such as parks, boat ramps and Council facilities.  Department of Transport and Main Roads own and maintain street lights on State-controlled roads and highways.

If you wish to report maintenance requests for street lights and are unsure which category the light falls under please contact Council’s Customer Service Centre on 4913 5000 or 1300 790 919.