Temporary Events

Livingstone Shire Council has an abundance of parks and beaches that can be utilised for any functions, carnivals and circuses. All events must have an application submitted to Council no later than three months prior to the event. 
The following criteria will determine if your event is deemed a Temporary Event and will need to follow the approval process. 

Criteria for a Temporary Event

  • The event is open to the public;
  • Exclusive use of the area is required (for private events this means that they only want a particular area and not want to turn up on the day and take a chance of availability);
  • It will be advertised (this includes open invitation emails to an unknown number of recipients);
  • There will be activities that may cause a risk i.e fire twirling, juggling etc
  • Large numbers of people will be in attendance (more than 50), or 
  • A social event for a large club (i.e. a booking for a sporting club/social club and expected attendance is over 50 people).

What do I need to do?

If you are holding an event at a temporary entertainment venue (eg Yeppoon Foreshore) you will need to click on the check availability and make a booking through our Customer Support portal.  

What do I need to provide?

Public Liability Insurance
Certificate of Currency $20 million showing Event name as Insured.

If food is being served/sold at your event, the List of Food Vendors/Stall Holders Form will be required.  A food business licence may be required, for further information please refer to Do I need a food business licence?

An Electrical Indemnity is to be completed if you are using Council power outlet/s.  You will need to provide name and licence number of the electrician you'll engage if you experience an issues with any of your equipment during set up/event/pack up.  

A Community Liquor Permit or Exemption may be required if alcohol is being sold.  The Business Queensland liquor and gaming site provides further information about liquor licensing in Queensland, including an online community liquor permit exemption assessment to help you ascertain if your entity or organisation can sell liquor at a fundraising event without requiring a permit.

Waste Management Plan
Waste Management Plan is required for all events to advise provisions made for the collection and disposal of waste generated by the temporary event.

Carpark and/or road closures
If a carpark and/or road closure is required for an event:   

In addition to the above, if your event impacts on Council controlled roads, carparks or footpaths, you must submit a Traffic Management Plan and parking strategy prepared by an accredited Traffic Management Designer to Council for review.

If a carpark is to be closed, carpark closure signage must be displayed seven (7) days prior to the closure.  Signage should be black text on yellow background approx. 900mm x 900mm. 

If fireworks are to form part of your event, a Fireworks Application will be required along with:

  • Your fireworks contractors licence, public liability insurance (minimum $20 million) and WorkCover certificate of currency
  • Fireworks acknowledgement issued by Resources Safety & Health Queensland 

Risk assessment
Temporary Event Risk Assessment to be completed stating the proposed methods of reducing identified risks associated with your event.

Site plan
A detailed site plan of Event is to be provided showing stalls, first aid stations, entry/exit points etc.

Want to promote your event?

Submit the details of your event to Council's Event Calendar.

For more information please contact our Customer Support Centre on 1300 790 919 or email engagementandevents@livingstone.qld.gov.au