Supply of Signs

Supply of Signs
Initial implementation:
Council will supply number signs (free of charge) to every ratepayer who has an existing residence/access driveway leading from the nominated road. Vacant lots will not be issued with a sign until such time that a dwelling or shed is constructed. When an existing vacant lot is subdivided it is the developer’s responsibility to pay for the rural addressing of the additional lots. That is Council pays for one rural addressing number, developer pays for the balance.

New residences:
Upon receipt of an application for a Building Permit for the initial habitable dwelling on a vacant lot, Council will advise the property owner to apply for a Road Reserve Works Permit – access driveway construction and/or a rural addressing number. Council will supply a number sign (free of charge) to the access driveway when workmen are next in the area.

Location of signs
Kerb & channelled roadways:
The number is to be painted or fixed to the kerb, or erected on the road frontage boundary of the property.

Non kerbed roadways:
The rural addressing sign shall be erected at the far side of the access drive approximately 1.0m outside the line of guideposts/shoulder of the road/or property side of the piped crossing or adjacent to the mail box in a visible location. The top of the sign is to be 1.0m to 1.2m above the ground, where possible.

Single access to multiple lots:

Where a combined access leaves the road to service two or more lots, signs are to be placed at the near and far sides of this access reflecting the number of lots served by the combined access road (i.e. the lowest and the highest number).

Maintenance of signs

The rural addressing sign erected by Council/developer will become the responsibility of the property owner to maintain and replace if damaged/stolen. Maintenance shall include removal of grass and vegetation from around the sign to ensure that it is not obscured from the travelling public.

Property Owners Responsibility

It is the responsibility of the property owner to:
  • Confirm road or street number of a particular property with our Customer Service Centre.
  • Install and maintain property number in a location that is easily read from the roadway.
Council’s Responsibility
It is Council’s responsibility to provide information on a road or street number for a particular property.