A Project of Capricorn Coast Historical Society & Livingstone Shire Council
The Historical Marker's location is on James Street.
This park was named in memory of Doctor Ernest Beaman Yeppoon's first medical superintendent from 1922 -1943. The park is centrally located between James & Normanby Streets in Yeppoon and is the site of many special events.
The Early Years
Beaman Park is named after the first superintendent appointed to Yeppoon Hospital, Dr Ernest Harris Beaman. Dr Beaman practised medicine in the town for 21 years from 1922 until his death in 1943.
Born and educated in England, Dr Beaman undertook his internship at the Rotunda Hospital in Dublin after completing his medical studies in 1892. In 1895 he was admitted to the Royal College of Surgeons. Upon migrating with his family to Australia in 1908, he worked briefly in Victoria and New South Wales before coming to Queensland and setting up practice at Bundaberg. He enlisted for service during the First World War as a surgeon with the Royal Australian Navy.
Importance to the Community
Originally a convalescent home, Yeppoon’s first hospital was commissioned in 1922 and Dr Beaman was appointed Medical Superintendent. As well as attending to his hospital duties, Dr Beaman set up a private practice in Yeppoon and became the town’s first resident doctor. He became renowned for his amicable generosity, never charging a patient when he knew that by doing so it would cause them financial hardship.
In 1931 Dr Beaman’s responsibilities broadened when he was appointed Medical Officer for Livingstone Shire, and some years later, with the onset of the Second World War, the Examining Physician for enlistees from the Yeppoon district.
Then on 11 April 1943 the Yeppoon community was shocked to learn that Dr Beaman, on rising from his bed that morning, had collapsed and died suddenly. He was aged 73.
The Later Years
He was buried in the Yeppoon Cemetery. In the years to follow, Beaman Park in Yeppoon’s main street was named in his honour and in 1959 the Dr Beaman Memorial Rotunda, built by public subscription, was opened in the park as a memorial to him.
1. Dr Ernest Harris Beaman in Naval uniform. (CCHS Collection)
2. 1988 Bicentenary celebrations in Beaman Park Rotunda. (CCHS Collection)
3. Plaque commemorating the opening of the Bicentenary celebrations 1988. (CCHS Collection)
4. James St viewed from the Rotunda, New Year's Day 1988. (CCHS Collection)
6. Doc Beaman's final resting place - Yeppoon Cemetery. (CCHS Collection)
5. Australia Day 1988 - A time capsule is lowered into place in Beaman Park. Olive and Brian Dorey. (CCHS Collection)