Yeppoon Post Office

Livingstone Shire Historical Markers

A project of Capricorn Coast Historical Society and Livingstone Shire Council

The Old Yeppoon Post Office

The Historical Marker's planned location is located on Normanby Street.

The Early Years

The building on the corner of Normanby and Mary Streets, commonly referred to as “the old post office”, was in fact the third post office in Yeppoon.  It was opened in 1924 after Yeppoon’s population growth as shown in the 1918 census justified the provision of upgraded postal services.

Yeppoon’s first post office was opened in 1883 and was located in Thomas Perkins’ “Yeppoon Hotel” on the corner of Hill and Queen Streets.  As postmaster he received an annual salary of £12, while also running his hotel.  Mail was received from Rockhampton once a week.

In 1887 telegram facilities were installed and a new postmaster, Mr D Low, trained in the use of Morse Code, was appointed. In the first year 1120 messages were sent.  Mr F C Montgomery took over as Postmaster and Telegraph Operator in 1888.

Yeppoon’s second post office opened in 1889 and was built in Normanby Street as a combined post office and postmaster’s residence.  This site, beside where the later 1924 post office would be located, is now occupied by the Yeppoon Town Hall car park.  When the third post office was erected, the previous building continued to be the postmaster’s residence until 1971 when it was sold for $400 and removed to Misfeld Street. 

Importance to the Community

The “old post office”, with later extensions, went on to provide postal and telegraphic services for 70 years until telephone exchange services moved to a new purpose-built facility uphill from the post office on Mary Street in 1966 and postal operations were moved to a new shopping centre in 1994 following federal government initiatives to franchise the ownership of post offices. 

The Later Years

In 1995, the building was purchased for $235,000 by Livingstone Shire Council as a community resource. At present it is occupied by The Mill Gallery and is a landmark because of the giant fig trees planted in front in the 1930s.