Capricorn Coast Historical Society Signage Project

CCHSLogoBox

Livingstone Shire Historical Markers 
A Project of Capricorn Coast Historical Society & Livingstone Shire Council

  1. Adelaide Park Station

    Adelaide Park Station

    “Adelaide Park” station was the home of pioneer grazier and overlander James Atherton.

  2. Annie Brown's House

    Annie Brown's House

    'Annie Brown’s House' as it became known to locals, was the home of Donald Brown and his wife Matilda, sons Alex, Hector and Hugh and daughters Annie and Marie.

  3. Anzac Parade

    Anzac Parade

    The present Anzac Parade at Yeppoon’s Main Beach originally consisted entirely of sand dunes.

  4. Armstrong's Monument

    Armstrong's Monument

    This landmark pinnacle-shaped rock became known to local residents under several names including Queensland Rock, but it was Donald Brown who called it “Armstrong’s Monument”.

  5. Beaman Park

    Beaman Park

    This park was named in memory of Doctor Ernest Beaman Yeppoon's first medical superintendent from 1922 -1943. The park is centrally located between James & Normanby Streets in Yeppoon and is the site of many special events.

  6. Yeppoon Cemetery

    Yeppoon Cemetery

    The four hectare Yeppoon Cemetery Reserve was first proclaimed in 1888 with the regulations for the cemetery being gazetted the following year.

  7. The QLD Eucalyptus Company

    The QLD Eucalyptus Company

    This company was founded by Rockhampton pharmacist Thomas Ingham who built a eucalyptus oil extraction plant and factory in the Coowonga area in June 1891.

  8. Yeppoon Post Office

    Yeppoon Post Office

    The building on the corner of Normanby and Mary Streets, commonly referred to as 'the old post office' was opened in 1924.

  1. The Yeppoon Railway Station

    The Yeppoon Railway Station

    Yeppoon was declared a town reserve in 1867 but the railway was not constructed until 1909. It was opened on 21st January 1910 by Queensland Governor Sir William MacGregor.

  2. Ritamada

    Ritamada

    “Ritamada” was a stately home that stood on 33 hectares of land on the uppermost northerly aspect of Tanby Point, overlooking Shoal Bay and Kinka Beach.

  3. Ross Creek

    Ross Creek

    Ross Creek is named after the Ross family. In 1870 Robert Ross, a wealthy landowner, acquired land, erected a jetty and built his homestead Taranganba above the creek.

  4. Stevenson Park

    Stevenson Park

    In 1922 the Yeppoon Sports Committee announced that they had acquired 2¼ acres of land at a cost of £445, known as Stevenson Park.

  5. St Faith's School

    St Faith's School

    St Faith's School for Girls was opened in 1923.

  6. The Farnborough Sugar Mill

    The Farnborough Sugar Mill

    William Broome owned the “Woodbury” property just north of Yeppoon where he experimented with growing sugar cane. Concluding that it was a viable crop, he and others floated the Yeppoon Sugar Company in 1883 to build and operate a mill.

  7. Wreck Point

    Wreck Point

    William Broome owned the “Woodbury” property just north of Yeppoon where he experimented with growing sugar cane. Concluding that it was a viable crop, he and others floated the Yeppoon Sugar Company in 1883 to build and operate a mill.